I provide professional, friendly, piano lessons to adult beginners and intermediate students in and around Malton (within a 5-mile radius).
- Fully qualified music teacher: BA Hons, Dip.Mus, Postgraduate Certificate in Education, ABRSM piano grades. I hold a diploma in Media Composition from ThinkSpace Education. I also hold a 2nd BA (Hons) in Humanities (English/History).
- Registered ABRSM and Trinity College teacher. I have successfully entered many students for their 'Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music' and 'Trinity College London' instrumental examinations.
- I teach adults, including retirees.
- I travel to your home, which makes it very easy to start lessons. I cover Malton and the immediate surrounding area of Ryedale.
- 30 years experience of piano tuition and all aspects of classroom music.
- DBS/CRB checked and I hold an Enhanced Certificate.
- I have also completed the NSPCC Child Protection Awareness In Music programme.
- DofE Assessor: learn to play the piano for your Duke of Edinburgh's Award!
- Each student is treated as an individual and I plan their lessons accordingly, thereby addressing each student’s needs and goals.
- After each lesson, I email detailed notes about what needs practising in preparation for the next lesson.
- Competitive fees, especially as I travel to your home to teach.
Please get in touch if you have any questions about piano lessons.
November 2022: there are a few places available for new adults during the daytime on Monday and possibly Tuesday. However, this does depend on your location, preferred lesson time and whether I'm teaching others in your vicinity at the same time.
Please note that due to my composing commitments, I won't be taking on any new students after 5pm or later in the week/weekends.
fees and FAQs
Do you do home visits?
I teach piano lessons within a 5-mile radius of Malton in Ryedale. I travel to people’s homes to teach.
How much do piano lessons cost?
- £35 for a 60 min lesson (usually every fortnight)
- £30 for a 45 min lesson (usually every fortnight)
Note: depending on where you live and whether I have other students in your location at the same time, driving expenses of 0.20p/mile may be added to the lesson fees. This is mainly for students living in villages outside of Malton (within a 5-mile radius). I try to absorb travel expenses by grouping students together, but this is not always possible.
Payment will be required at the end of each month for lessons that have been taken or, if more convenient, you can pay after each lesson.
My fees reflect both my qualifications, teaching experience and travel expenses.
Find out about current UK music lesson fees here: https://www.ism.org/advice/private-music-teachers-fees-results-from-our-survey-conducted-september-december-2021
How do I pay for lessons?
Payment can be made by cash or bank transfer.
How often are lessons?
Most adults have a 60 minute lesson every fortnight (at the student’s home). However, fortnightly 45 minute lessons are a possibility, depending on location.
What about cancelled lessons?
48-hours notice is required for any lesson cancellations. If less than 48 hours notice is given then the lesson and payment is forfeited, unless there are exceptional circumstances. If I have to cancel a lesson myself then I will re-schedule the lesson by negotiation.
Do I need a piano?
An acoustic piano is the best choice, but a digital piano with full-size keys (and a sustain pedal) can also be suitable depending on the make and features. Digital pianos don't need tuning or servicing and you can use headphones! There are many suitable makes and models from Roland and Yamaha, for example. Some piano shops even offer a hire scheme whereby you ‘rent’ a piano on a monthly basis, sometimes with the chance to purchase it further down the line.
What age-range do you teach?
What do you teach?
I provide piano and music theory tuition.
Note: music theory is normally incorporated into piano lessons, but sometimes students want extra tuition if they are having problems. Grade V Theory is a prerequisite for moving on to Grade 6 (or higher) ABRSM instrumental lessons.
Can you enter students for examinations?
I am registered with the ABRSM and Trinity College London and can enter students for examinations.
I have a different question
Get in touch at any time via the Contact page.